Hi Everyone!

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Midnight
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Lock picking is one of those skills that I've had in mind for years now, but never did anything about, but now I've just ordered my first set of picks - I went for the Southord PXS-14, as it seems like a solid choice for first set!. Now all I need is some locks to try...

Can anyone tell me some good makes and models of door or padlocks that will be nice and simple first-time locks? Locks that are cheap and easy to find in the UK online preferably. I'd like to pick up two or three to start with, to ensure that I'm not just learning to pick 'one' lock.
I've had a look on ebay and while there's a lot of stuff, I can't tell just by looking if it will be too complex for a beginner lock, so if anyone has any good search terms to narrow the list down, that will be very helpful too!

Thanks and looking forward to reading through this forum properly!

Cheers,
Chris.
Shurelock
UKLS Member
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 12 times

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi @Midnight , you´re early tonight :-).

I started with some cheap padlocks and the cheapest eurocylinder I could find in a hardwarestore. Ufortunately the cylinder I bought was a Corbin. Avoid that brand and buy a nameless one. The padlocks I had laying around, and I bought some on a fleamarket, but be aware, cheap Chinese locks are not always that easy, some can even be nasty. Masterlock ia a brand that´s always reconmended for beginners, but in the Netherlands I´ve never seen these locks for sale, I guess we have too many bicycle thieves around, including the municipality of Amsterdam.

:welc:

Have fun!

:13:
Last edited by Shurelock on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeyMOE
VIP Member
Been liked: 17 times

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:25 pm

:s_hi: and welc Chris

Great to have you here, you’ve come to the right place to continue your Lockpicking journey. So many knowledgable and generous people on here. Post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and get involved.

As has already been said, it’s a fine balance between good quality locks which you can learn something from and locks which are too hard for a beginner. I’d advise you start with the much maligned Master Lock #3 padlock which treads the fine line well. I’d also recommend visiting south coast Lock bits on EBay (plenty of links around the forum as he’s a friend of UKLS) and pick up a practice/cutaway lock so you can see what’s going on and learn different types of pins.

See you around,

KeyMOE
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche
MadUncleAndy
VIP Member
Location: Deep in the Heart of Darkest America, Home of the Brave
Has liked: 4 times

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Hello, and welcome aboard!!!
"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." -- Malaclypse the Younger

"... as you all know it’s best to humour the crazy." - KeyMOE

"Hmm, couple of glasses of red, and I have the picking skills of a manatee." -- Kattefjaes
Sedz
UKLS Member
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 23 times

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi.
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 28 times

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
xbmods
VIP Member
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 35 times

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sterling do some cheap beginner level Euros to start you off. Also I will be restarting a beginner's loan set again very soon too,
the last set is MIA, check in the pass around section on the forum.
Jason J
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 20 times

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi Chris! welc =)
Toni
VIP Member
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:08 pm

My advice would be to not worry too much about how difficult locks are. Just get as many as you can!
These users liked the author Toni for the post (total 4):
xbmods (Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:27 pm) • Gazz (Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:47 pm) • Shurelock (Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:21 pm) • Sedz (Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am)
Midnight
UKLS New Member

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm

xbmods wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:42 pm
Welcome to the forum, Sterling do some cheap beginner level Euros to start you off. Also I will be restarting a beginner's loan set again very soon too,
the last set is MIA, check in the pass around section on the forum.
I've just had a look on Sterling's website and all their locks have security pins in! I've never even held a pick before, so that's not something I want to be getting into yet.. :hee20hee20hee:
Midnight
UKLS New Member

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:39 pm

KeyMOE wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:25 pm
:s_hi: and welc Chris

Great to have you here, you’ve come to the right place to continue your Lockpicking journey. So many knowledgable and generous people on here. Post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and get involved.

As has already been said, it’s a fine balance between good quality locks which you can learn something from and locks which are too hard for a beginner. I’d advise you start with the much maligned Master Lock #3 padlock which treads the fine line well. I’d also recommend visiting south coast Lock bits on EBay (plenty of links around the forum as he’s a friend of UKLS) and pick up a practice/cutaway lock so you can see what’s going on and learn different types of pins.

See you around,

KeyMOE
:c017: KeyMOE! I've ordered myself a couple of #3's which should arrive in a day or so. It'll be fun to give them a go!
xbmods
VIP Member
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 35 times

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 pm

It's kind of hard to explain properly but a mix of the"security pins"they use and the manufacturing of Sterling locks actually make picking them easier than you would think.
These users liked the author xbmods for the post:
Gazz (Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:01 pm)
Jason J
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 27 times

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 pm

:s_hi: and welc welc welc @Midnight

Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38

Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=423

Yes,yes I know you have already, but it's part of my patter and tbh it looks good to the other mods that I'm bothering with this stuff :hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=12345

Also keep an eye out for the meet ups , as there maybe a few folk round your way :72: :08:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have.......

viewforum.php?f=63

:GL: and :welc:
KeyMOE
VIP Member
Been liked: 17 times

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 pm

xbmods wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 pm
It's kind of hard to explain properly but a mix of the"security pins"they use and the manufacturing of Sterling locks actually make picking them easier than you would think.
^^^ this is very true, the mushroom pins give great feedback. They may be cheap but they’re a really fun pick.
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 pm

welc :s_hi:

Nice to meet you :) read the rules, check out some old threads and join in the fun!