Greetings; a history; and next steps.

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Teklock
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm a total locksport noob, originally from Australia now in Oxford, UK.

I (sort of) tried picking many years ago with the (in?)famous MIT Lockpicking Guide, but with a lack of tools an patience didn't get very far…
I recently bumped into picking again on the youtubes (probably via a combination of some defcon talks and "the algorithm") and binged a heap of vids waiting for my set of cheap Chinese picks to arrive.

Since they arrived last week, I got bored with the clear acrylic lock (it almost falls open if you stick a half diamond pick into it :D) and purchased the cheapest euro cylinder I could get at the local hardware store (one of these - https://www.securefast-online.co.uk/Pro ... es/SEU6402). I couldn't find any useful information on it, but it seems to be a 6-pin with no security pins. I can now *fairly* reliably single-pin pick it (although, I suspect with more tension than required). So, I'm now working on reducing the tension to feel the more subtle feedback and looking for my next lock.

Speaking of looking for my next lock, I would appreciate some guidance. I've gathered that getting a repinnable lock is a good way to practice and learn (e.g. starting on security pins). So, I'm looking at the "Locksaway" euro cylinders but I'm not sure whether a cutaway is a good idea or not? I don't think I need the cutaway for understanding the basics, but could they be worth if learning security pins? The downside is that (I hear) they don't feel "right". The short version is, if I buy one repinnable practice lock - should it be a cutaway?

I'm also about half way through Solomon's guide :13:

Anyway… that's where I'm at, so "hi", I guess :D

- Tek
These users liked the author Teklock for the post:
LockpickingPete (Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:32 pm)
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 24 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:12 pm

:s_hi: and welc welc welc @Teklock

Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).

https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38
Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.

https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=423

Yes,yes I know you have already, but it's part of my patter and tbh it looks good to the other mods that I'm bothering with this stuff :hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:
https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic ... 61&t=12345

Also keep an eye out for the meet ups , as there maybe a few folk round your way :72: :08:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have... https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=63

:GL: and :welc:
Sedz
UKLS Member
Been liked: 12 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Teklock wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:54 pm
if I buy one repinnable practice lock - should it be a cutaway?
I'd recommend sparrows practice locks, the progressive ones or the revolver maybe. The reload kit is nice too, cheap and comes with the mini pinning mats.
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 16 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi Teklock welc
Everybody learns best in different ways. I can only speak for myself when I say that acrylics are useless for everything but showing how a lock works. Some learns from cutaways some finds them unnecessary. A repinnable lock in decent quality is a good way to learn for most I believe.
I started out buying padlocks and ovals from stores and it works to a degree but was unnecessary expensive and most cheap locks are just cheap locks with all their faults. If I started out today I would buy a job lot with used euros from either ebay or from boot sales if available. For later use I would also get a couple of Abus brass padlocks as they are of good quality and picks in a fairly consequent manner. There are also threads on this forum with traveling lock kits one can sign up for, some are for beginners and some are a little tougher. Good luck and happy pickings =)
xbmods
VIP Member
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 24 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi Tek, welcome to the forum, I agree with the above, grab what you can find at a boot fair or cheap used ones on ebay. I personally didn't find cutaways that useful for learning as you keep looking at what's going on instead of feeling it.
Jason J
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 20 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 34 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

How do :welc:
KeyMOE
VIP Member
Has liked: 0

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm

:s_hi: and welc

Great to have you here, you’ve come to the right place to continue your Lockpicking journey. So many knowledgable and generous people on here. Post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and get involved.

Like the guys said, sign up for the travelling locks. I’d also recommend getting yourself a lock pinning kit (just search the newbie section for Huk) and some security pins (check out southcoastlockbits on eBay) then you can repin your existing lock to your hearts content whilst awaiting the travelling set.

See you around,

KeyMOE
These users liked the author KeyMOE for the post:
Teklock (Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 am)
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche
TonyS
VIP Member
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 32 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 pm

I started with a cutaway from locksaway

Fantastic learning aid.

I would totally recommend it

Good luck !
LockpickingPete
VIP Member
Personal Text: Rukoholic
Has liked: 21 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Hey there :)

great introduction. A like for that. :)

Cutaway and acrylic locks are, as you said, to see and understand what's going on inside. So, no. I would not recommend those, if you already understood. I also learned from YT Vids. I binged about 200 hrs before I even ordered my first set.

But you said, you bought yourself a cheap chinese pick set. Those can be pretty clunky. Could be hard to open beginner locks, like Abus or so. But you could try. :) I'd also recommend the Sparrows Training Locks. They're progressively pinned and you can re-pin them with the kit.

Or may be even here: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lock-sport-pinning-k ... %7Ciid%3A1

a strong partner of lockpicking community and based in UK.

but on the other hand... if the lock you already bought, is indeed a half cylinder, you could watch three or four more vids and learn, how to disassemble and re-pin it. You've a perfect base there. Get yourself pins, a follower for euro cylinder, core shims (!!!!) and a tweezer. Bäm, ready to go. Welcome on board, man. :)

Edit: you can definetely email the guy on Ebay, tell him, you're a newbie on UKLS and you'd like a follower and shims, if you can't find them in his shop. He knows us. :D
Last edited by LockpickingPete on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users liked the author LockpickingPete for the post (total 3):
Pickbeard 7721 (Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:36 pm) • xbmods (Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:45 pm) • Teklock (Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:21 am)
Gordon W
VIP Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Drop me a message and I’ll whack a few euros in the post for you this week
These users liked the author Gordon W for the post (total 3):
Teklock (Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:21 am) • LockpickingPete (Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:58 am) • Peterlox (Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 pm)
18 months in and still learning every day.
You can find me here
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCybL7J ... XLkhzt7CRg
Or here
https://www.instagram.com/gordonwlocksport/
Teklock
UKLS New Member
Been liked: 2 times

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks all for the welcome and all the suggestions. I now have many browser tabs open :D
I think I will skip the cutaway, it sounds like the Huk disassembly kit is the way to go for future utility, so I'll probably order that today!

@Gordon W That'd be super, I might have to take you up on the offer. Thanks.
These users liked the author Teklock for the post:
LockpickingPete (Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:58 am)
LockpickingPete
VIP Member
Personal Text: Rukoholic
Has liked: 21 times

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am

the HUK set is the GOAT. You can't do anything wrong with buying it.

Keep your eyes open for newbie giveaways. Those pop up every now and then. Don't be shy and put your name on it!
These users liked the author LockpickingPete for the post:
Teklock (Fri May 03, 2019 4:27 pm)