Hello everybody!

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Mike4
UKLS Junior Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi chaps and chapesses. Just joined today. I fix central heating boilers for a living and my other hobbies are canal narrowboats/vintage diesels, and church tower bell ringing.

Not sure my motivation is quite the same as everyone else here. I like to do stuff myself and I have a few rental houses for my pension. Several years ago one of my tenants called me to say the key won't open his front door so that Sunday evening so I called an emergency locksmith. He kindly agreed to come out at 9pm on a Sunday evening to get us in. He asked for the key we had (that would not turn), put it in the lock and gave it a furious shaking in the lock and it opened! I asked what he would have done had that not worked and he said he would have picked it. Interesting! As I wrote out his cheque for £120 my interest in locks was awakened. So my narrow interest is in opening the occasional front door to one of my rental houses.

Anyway the kids bought me an ebay set of lock picks for Christmas as a result and on Christmas day having watched a few youtube vids I shut myself out of the house and set to with my first selected pick. 20 seconds later and to my shock I managed to open my own front door without the key! And to prove it wasn't a fluke I tried again although this time it took about five minutes, but I still did it.

Fast forward to now and I have a terraced rental house where tenant has moved out and is not returning my calls as they left the house in quite a mess. They have changed the rim cylinder lock long ago so my key doesn't work and my local locksmith says £80 plus VAT to open it, so I had a bash myself with my pick set yesterday in the slashing rain but I couldn't do it. I think opening my own front door was beginners luck. So now my goal is to open my rental front door myself instead of giving in and employing the locksmith.

Anyway there we are. That's me introduced. Opening my rental house front door is my immediate interest but the fact locks at all can be picked is fascinating and I plan to develop my skills in this. I was hooked when I first found I could open my own front door. Not managed it again since but I WILL do it again.

Off to read the forum now and find out about the specific difficulties of opening rim cylinders installed in front doors, rather than padlocks in the comfort of my own living room...
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:27 am

Hello Mike4 and welcome :). We all love lock picking around here and are happy to try and answer and questions that you might have :)

Please do make reading the forums rules your first port of call though. Being a Locksport (i.e. not locksmith) site, we have very strict rules on discussing locks in use. That is to say we don’t discuss picking locks in use at all.
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 27 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 am

@Mike4 ,

Although you have written a wounderful introduction I think you may need to go to .. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38
To stop any confusion as to what UKLS is all about.

The prices you have been quoted seem reasonable to me for the jobs you requested.

As there are a few practiceing locksmiths on this site, I'm sure many would agree with me on this.

I'm sure if you were a member of a boiler forum and someone said they were going to do some work them selves to save a few quid, as well as being interested in the workings of a boiler you would advise them against it.
So that being said , please do not be offended by some of the comments that will inevitably come your way from this post.

If you are looking to get into the "Hobby/sport" then we are all more than happy to help you.

:welc:
Mike4
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 am

Lock_Noob wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:27 am
Hello Mike4 and welcome :). We all love lock picking around here and are happy to try and answer and questions that you might have :)

Please do make reading the forums rules your first port of call though. Being a Locksport (i.e. not locksmith) site, we have very strict rules on discussing locks in use. That is to say we don’t discuss picking locks in use at all.
Ok thanks for pointing that out - it's entirely understandable and as I suspected. But I wasn't sure from what I read in my initial looking around the site. so I thought I'd mention this up front and see if anyone commented. I'll read the forum rules again more carefully as curiously I didn't notice this point mentioned in my quick scan through on registering. I know my reading is not that accurate though.

Mike

EDIT TO ADD: Ok, Rule 5! Apologies. I don't know how I missed this.
Last edited by Mike4 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike4
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 am

Pickbeard 7721 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 am

I'm sure if you were a member of a boiler forum and someone said they were going to do some work them selves to save a few quid, as well as being interested in the workings of a boiler you would advise them against it.
So that being said , please do not be offended by some of the comments that will inevitably come your way from this post.

Well actually, it so happens I run a boiler-fixing forum (well two actually) where I do exactly this! Happy to give any amount of help and advice to people fixing their own boilers. I also have my youtube channel where I explain boiler faults and how they can be fixed. A great deal of boiler-fixing has nothing to do with gas and even when it does, lot of people are gonna try whether or not I am open with advice and comments. Better to steer them towards safety than just say nothing.

I've not joined up to 'save a few quid' either. I'm interested because I'm fascinated with the skills and engineering involved in locks and if I wasn't a boiler fixer I'd definitely be a locksmith. Some of the church tower ringing room locks are MASSIVE!

On the subject of opening locks in use though, it seems sensible to call out the locksmith anyway for my own protection. It just pains me to think the chap will probably just crassly drill out the barrel and destroy the lock, rather than picking it elegantly then changing the barrel with a screwdriver.

Off out later to buy a vice from Aldi....

Mike
jwrm22
VIP Member
Personal Text: "Door hardware sportsman"
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 am

Welcome to the forums!
TonyS
VIP Member
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 71 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am

Hi mate, welcomed to UKLS.
Whereabouts do you live?
xbmods
VIP Member
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 44 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

Welcome to the forum Mike, great intro, like you I broke rule 5 with my first post too! We are not alone there either. :hee20hee20hee: But now you know I hope you stick around.

I can neither confirm or deny that I've fixed my own boiler on more than one occasion. Having an expert around could prove useful in the future. :13:
Jason J
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 43 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi Mike :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 26 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Howdy Mike! Welcome to the forum.
Boats,vintage diesels and locks.. good taste in hobbies if you ask me =)
Mike4
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm

PacMandalore wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 pm
Howdy Mike! Welcome to the forum.
Boats,vintage diesels and locks.. good taste in hobbies if you ask me =)
Thanks!

And them big bronze tower bells too, don't forget them, enormous fun! (And very few of us ringers are religious, in case you were wondering.)

Mike
Mike4
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm

xbmods wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am
Welcome to the forum Mike, great intro, like you I broke rule 5 with my first post too! We are not alone there either. :hee20hee20hee: But now you know I hope you stick around.

I can neither confirm or deny that I've fixed my own boiler on more than one occasion. Having an expert around could prove useful in the future. :13:
Thanks Jason, nice to know I'm not the only one around here who can't read haha! I think Rule 5 ought to be promoted to Rule 1 actually. This must crop up constantly.

And yes, boiler advice freely given to anyone wanting or needing it. Happy to warn about and explain in detail what the gas risks (if any) are, so they are understood rather the just the blanket advice of 'get a professional in'. There are a helluvalot out there in my business who are qualified but not very competent in my opinion so getting a pro in may not always be the best advice, actually. Bit like locksmithing I imagine.... (Head down for the incoming...)

Mike
Last edited by Mike4 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author Mike4 for the post (total 2):
xbmods (Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:35 pm) • TonyS (Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:53 pm)
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 26 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:47 pm

@Mike4 Then I'm in on the bells too ;) I don't mind if people are religious or not, I just don't know anything about big bronze bells =) Wouldn't mind having a big church pipe organ though.. would have been great fun. They won't let me try the massive one in the town church here.. can't figure why ^^
Mike4
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:00 pm

TonyS wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am
Hi mate, welcomed to UKLS.
Whereabouts do you live?
Hi Tony,

My trading address is in Reading, Berkshire, but I spend a lot of my time on my boats, in Wiltshire and Warwickshire.
These users liked the author Mike4 for the post:
TonyS (Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 pm)
Shurelock
UKLS Full Member
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 15 times

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:23 pm

:s_hi: Mike,

:welc:
KeyMOE
VIP Member
Been liked: 17 times

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:05 pm

:s_hi: and welc

Great to have you here, you’ve come to the right place to continue your Lockpicking journey. So many knowledgable and generous people on here. Post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and get involved.

See you around,

KeyMOE
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 43 times

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:00 pm
I spend a lot of my time on my boats, in Wiltshire and Warwickshire.
I've fished on the Avon in Warwickshire, about 15 years ago, around the Twyford farm area, beautiful place.
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.