Hello from Norway

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
fwalloe
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm a newbie from Norway who fell for lockpicking at a hacker conference in Finland. Had plans to see a number of talks, but once I discovered they also had lockpicking there, I forgot all about the talks and spent the whole day picking locks... An instructor I met at a hacker space in Amersfoort recommended this forum. Looks like there are some great materials here: I already started reading Solomons guide.

Is eBay still a recommended source of cheap/interesting locks? I saw a post here that mentioned it as a source, but that post was from 2016.
LockpickingPete
VIP Member
Has liked: 6 times

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Cheers and welcome!!!

This is definitely the place to be as a lockpicker. Ask as much as you want and need! No-one will ever be tired of answering questions. Post pics of your achievements, your tools and just feel welcome.

eBay is indeed still a good source. But also the community itself. Sharing is caring. :)
Steaks that weight less than a pound are called Carpaccio, ya dingus!

www.twitch.tv/lockpicking_pete for lockpicking livestreams
MaosVapes
UKLS Member

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Welcome neighbor welc

I am a newbie from Iceland but in the short time I've been here I've learned A LOT

Having an instructor must have helped a bunch right? I think it would be great to have someone standing over you while you pick to tell you what you are doing wrong :72:

Hope you enjoy your stay here, and yes, ebay is a good source, but the shipping cost can be a bit high for heavy packages from abroad :crazy:
I didn't pick this hobby, this hobby picked me!
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi fwalloe. :welc:

Post loads of pics, ask loads of questions and have fun. welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
jwrm22
VIP Member
Personal Text: "Door hardware sportsman"
Has liked: 2 times

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:11 pm

fwalloe wrote: Hi,

I'm a newbie from Norway who fell for lockpicking at a hacker conference in Finland. Had plans to see a number of talks, but once I discovered they also had lockpicking there, I forgot all about the talks and spent the whole day picking locks... An instructor I met at a hacker space in Amersfoort recommended this forum. Looks like there are some great materials here: I already started reading Solomons guide.

Is eBay still a recommended source of cheap/interesting locks? I saw a post here that mentioned it as a source, but that post was from 2016.
Hey! Welcome to the forum. It has been a while since we met at Bitlair and I'm glad you found your way to the forum.
As the conference was in Sweden have you met Suomen and Thomas? The community is quite small and they are good friends of mine.
(Thomas put a bounty om picking an Bilock)

As for locks: there are plenty to go around.
The biggest problem I find is getting the right locks for your skill level and price.
My problem with locks has always been shipping cost, but this can be overcome quite easily.
Try your local online second hand market and don't just but everything you can get.
I can regularly get locks at 1 euro each.

Share your experience and don't forget asking help when you are stuck.
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Been liked: 2 times

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:46 pm

^-^ and welc welc welc @ fwalloe,

Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).
Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.
https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/http://mi ... 2619#p2619

Yes,yes I know you have already, but it's part of my patter and tbh it looks good to the other mods that I'm bothering with this stuff :hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:

Also keep an eye out for the meet ups , as there maybe a few folk round your way :72: :08:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have... https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/http://mi ... ic.php?t=7

:GL: and :welc:
May the pick be with you
TonyS
VIP Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi Norway !
Would love to go there - I send a few students there every year on Erasmus, not too far from Oslo in fact.
They absolutely love the country and the people and the year they spend up there.

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you head over to the video section and check out what the guys have been posting - Tallans is my personal favourite.

Hope to see photos of what you are picking - if you are picking, and hope to be able to help with any questions you have if you are not picking.

See you around !
:welc:
KeyMOE
VIP Member

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 pm

^-^ and welc welc :welc:

Always nice to see another international member, especially a Scandinavian one (you guys have the best locks!!).

As others have said, eBay is great but also check out Ucof’s How to get free/cheap locks for some other sources.

Ask lots of questions and post lots of pictures.

KeyMOE
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche
MadUncleAndy
VIP Member
Location: Deep in the Heart of Darkest America, Home of the Brave

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Welcome aboard!!! :welc: welc :welc:
"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." -- Malaclypse the Younger

"... as you all know it’s best to humour the crazy." - KeyMOE
slash_burns
UKLS New Member

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi fwalloe ^-^
:welc: :13:
tsiolkovsky
UKLS Team Member

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi and wotcha !
tsiolkovsky
UKLS Team Member

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi ther
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:59 pm

welc How do
fwalloe
UKLS New Member

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:28 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
jwrm22 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:11 pm
As the conference was in Sweden have you met Suomen and Thomas? The community is quite small and they are good friends of mine.
(Thomas put a bounty om picking an Bilock)
The conference was in Finland. Don't think I have met them, but I'll pay more attention to names the next time I'm at a conference :)

Also, is the SouthOrd C2010 lock pick set still worth getting or is there another set that I should consider instead?
MHM
UKLS Team Member
Been liked: 4 times

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 am

Welcome to the group mate, I see you already know Jan.

The Southord C2010 is an excellent starter set, but it without any hesitation.
"This is rubbing the overdose." - Tallans
"Your devotion will be rewarded with frozen drinks and sugar coated cornflakes after the revolution." - frosty68
"Using soy sauce will destroy a lock" - JWRM

Michael Maynard.
Rob locks
VIP Member
Been liked: 1 time

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 am

welc nice to meet you.