The Lockpicking Neophyte

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

Hey all,

The Lockpicking Neophyte here...

I have been interested in lock mechanisms and how they work since I was a kid, over the years I have picked a few basic locks with improvised tools, but recently decided it was time to upgrade my passing interest to a fun and challenging hobby.

I have started off by purchasing a cheap set of picks, and clear locks from Wish, I also purchased a gimmocky "credit card" pick set (a set of basic picks inside a fake plastic credit card), and a "multi pick tool" (single handle with multiple fold out picks), I have also made a couple of tension wrenches from wiper blade steel, these work with so many locks, such a simple but effective thing to make.

I started off with this cheap set as I didn't want to "break the bank" on a new hobby (as I have done with many other hobbies in the past), it has served me very well and I have been able to pick all but 1 of the locks I have sat down to pick (purchased door locks, and padlocks). I will be looking to purchase more and more slim picks in the future as the thickness of these "cheap ones" makes picking some keyways a LOT more challenging than they needed to be.

I have had a few notable hobbies over the years, RC cars, competitive Car Audio, and Photography being the more costly of them lol.

My family (partner and son) recently moved to a new town and are slowly adjusting to new life, we are currently living with my father and his wife while the house we will be renting is renovated.

I work in IT, my partner in Customer Services, our son is 4, son to be 5. When our son was 2 he was diagnosed with AML Leukemia in both his blood stream and spinal fluid, He went through an almost 12 month solid barrage of Chemo Therapy, we almost lost our lil super hero 4 times along with other health dramas during that period, He is now in remission and you cannot slow him down, such an amazing bundle of energy! (enough of that sob story though :).
If anyone feels the want to talk about it or ask any questions at all, I am more than comfortable talking about what we went through and sharing any "words of wisdom" or knowledge we came away with.

Not sure what else I can say really, probably already shared more than I should have with you dodgy group of lock pickers! haha (JOKING of course!!!)
These users thanked the author OUTLWD for the post (total 2):
TequilaDave (Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:32 pm) • jwrm22 (Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 am)
“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda (The Phantom Menace)
TonyS
VIP Member

Hi.
Haven't seen you around on Facebook for a few days, happy you found your way here.
:welc:
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

TonyS wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:46 pm
Hi.
Haven't seen you around on Facebook for a few days, happy you found your way here.
Haha, many thanks! I actually put up a new post yesterday but missed out the locksport page :/ (please don't shun me haha :) ).

Many thanks for the welcome :D
“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda (The Phantom Menace)
MHM
UKLS Team Member

Another IT guy, who'd have thought?

So which small town did you move to?
Michael Maynard.

"Work is the curse of the safecracking classes" - GravityKarma
PacMandalore
VIP Member

Howdy OUTLWD! welc
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

MHM wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Another IT guy, who'd have thought?

So which small town did you move to?
I think its linked to the analytical side of our minds lol

Moved to the province of Taranaki :)
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

PacMandalore wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:06 pm
Howdy OUTLWD! welc
Greetings and Kia Ora! :)
MHM
UKLS Team Member

You poor bugger. I assume you're going to grow webbed feet and drink a lot of milk.

Have you started picking the Lockwoods that we all love to hate yet?
Michael Maynard.

TequilaDave
VIP Member

I wish I had a "welcome template" like some of the others here, saying to read the rules etc. Just do as they say! :)

There's a wealth of information on this forum and if you can't find what you're after just ask. The only stupid question is one that isn't asked!

Don't be afraid of posting photos of locks you pick on the way as we all like pictures, no matter how easy they are to open. Everybody started somewhere and like seeing people progress. You don't have to pick a Medico to get a +1! In fact there's a whole thread on "What you didn't pick today"' :)

More than anything, have fun and keep it legal!

You'd be surprised how many others here have endured and found Locksport a comfort and therapy, I know I have! Your start into lock picking probably also sounds familiar to a lot of us here and you've probably made a wise decision not to just splash out straight away and buy everything. There is a great recent thread in the newbies section about what people would buy now with hindsight if they had to start again, I'm sure someone else will link to it below.

PS I'm in IT too :)

I think I've just written my first "welcome template"
:hee20hee20hee:
"Without a naughty bucket life would be boring!" :)
TequilaDave
VIP Member

Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=17583

A decent set of picks makes all the difference :)
These users thanked the author TequilaDave for the post:
OUTLWD (Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:50 pm)
"Without a naughty bucket life would be boring!" :)
Billbobaggins
VIP Member

Hi and wellcome to the forum, and yes we do talk about EVERYTHING.
Gazz
VIP Member

Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
You must always remember, it's the lock that chooses the pick, not you.
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

MHM wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:15 pm
You poor bugger. I assume you're going to grow webbed feet and drink a lot of milk.

Have you started picking the Lockwoods that we all love to hate yet?
Hahahaha you know the area well? lol... need to learn the Banjo first! hahahaha

I havent got any Lockwoods yet, but they ARE on my wish list

My most challenging one thus far has been a Papaiz CR35, I swear this padlock has at least 2 spools I just wish it was able to be easily disassembled!
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

TequilaDave wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 pm

I wish I had a "welcome template" like some of the others here, saying to read the rules etc. Just do as they say! :)

There's a wealth of information on this forum and if you can't find what you're after just ask. The only stupid question is one that isn't asked!

Don't be afraid of posting photos of locks you pick on the way as we all like pictures, no matter how easy they are to open. Everybody started somewhere and like seeing people progress. You don't have to pick a Medico to get a +1! In fact there's a whole thread on "What you didn't pick today"' :)

More than anything, have fun and keep it legal!

You'd be surprised how many others here have endured and found Locksport a comfort and therapy, I know I have! Your start into lock picking probably also sounds familiar to a lot of us here and you've probably made a wise decision not to just splash out straight away and buy everything. There is a great recent thread in the newbies section about what people would buy now with hindsight if they had to start again, I'm sure someone else will link to it below.

PS I'm in IT too :)

I think I've just written my first "welcome template"
:hee20hee20hee:
Thank you for your welcome and kind words! I really do have to start posting a few pics of the locks I have and have picked, latest tricky 1 I have had is a little Papaiz CR35 from Brazil.
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

TequilaDave wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:29 pm
Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=17583

A decent set of picks makes all the difference :)
Awesome! I will def check that topic out, I have semi put together a "wish list" but am revising and refining it as I learn more, before I hit the "buy button" :)
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

Billbobaggins wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:03 pm
Hi and wellcome to the forum, and yes we do talk about EVERYTHING.
Many thanks :)

Gazz wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 pm
Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
I have been you can believe that! :) , there is just so much of this forum to get through :)
I_am_Error
UKLS Junior Member

Welcome.
And in the spider's belly, bones of the butterfly...
Sedz
VIP Member

Welcome IT guy. I didn't think New Zealand had advanced that far.
These users thanked the author Sedz for the post (total 2):
Tipene (Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:41 am) • TonyS (Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 am)
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

Sedz wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:13 am
Welcome IT guy. I didn't think New Zealand had advanced that far.
Some have, some are still stuck in the 1800s rofl
mattj
UKLS Member
Has thanked: 0

Welcome!
Huxley
UKLS Donator
UKLS Donator

OUTLWD wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:47 pm

My most challenging one thus far has been a Papaiz CR35, I swear this padlock has at least 2 spools I just wish it was able to be easily disassembled!
You'll learn to love spools, some can give a ton of feedback whilst others none.
They're great for forcing you to change how you pick. I'm only 4 months in and already finding myself picking the higher locks. Last one had four spools.

OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

Hey all, The Lockpicking Neophyte here...

So, I thought I would put up a quick few shots of some of the locks I own and or have picked since picking up this sport.

This was the most tricky lock thus far, only simply due to the narrow keyway and the fact I only have very cheap fat picks
Handle.jpg
Locks_01.jpg
Locks_02.jpg
Locks_03.jpg
Locks_04.jpg
Locks_05.jpg
The one on the left was a little tricky as it appears to have a plastic or nylon bible
Locks_06.jpg
This lock was picked for my brother who just purchased the house this lock belongs to but didnt have a key for this lock, the lock has since been retired and replaced
Locks_Garage_01.jpg
Locks_Garage_02.jpg
This would have to be my biggest "gotcha" moment when I finally cracked this open!
Locks_Lockwood.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author OUTLWD for the post:
Gazz (Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:29 pm)
Billbobaggins
VIP Member

Fear is the mind killer
The first line of a litany,
Frank Herbert,
Dune.

The true master.
OUTLWD
UKLS Junior Member

Billbobaggins wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:51 pm
Fear is the mind killer
The first line of a litany,
Frank Herbert,
Dune.

The true master.
hahaha, Touche :)
These users thanked the author OUTLWD for the post:
Billbobaggins (Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 pm)
MHM
UKLS Team Member

Massive score with those two euros with the allen head grub screws - you've got two ready made, repinnable training locks right there. If you need some spools and serrated pins to stick in there, let me know and I'll post some across.
These users thanked the author MHM for the post:
OUTLWD (Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:28 pm)
Michael Maynard.