Another newcomer

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
John999
UKLS New Member
Personal Text: Semi retired, too poor to retire fully yet. Into Cyber Security but just as an amateur but I know my way around a few viruses.
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi all, two weeks in and already frustrated, success raking a double sided wafer lock and that's it.
I live in Eastleigh, Hampshire and I am sort of semi retired.
I found a table top clamp on Ebay for £12.99, are these any good for a beginner?
Bought some picks from Mad Bobs...….0.6mm, are these too thick for UK locks. Also got a set of cheapo's from Ebay with a plastic lock, what else should I consider buying?
So many questions, so little time...…
John
David_1
VIP Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 21 times

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Welcome
Sedz
UKLS Member
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 32 times

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:16 pm

John999 wrote:
I found a table top clamp on Ebay for £12.99, are these any good for a beginner?
That was my first vice, ebay trash clamped to my computer desk. Upgraded to a panavise but my old one is still working fine after 2 years of solid use.
John999 wrote:
Bought some picks from Mad Bobs...….0.6mm, are these too thick for UK locks.
They should be fine. I manage to fit 0.64mm in most euro cylinders.
John999 wrote:
Also got a set of cheapo's from Ebay with a plastic lock, what else should I consider buying?
Those will probably be too thick to fit in UK locks. The plastic lock is good for learning how the lock works, probably not the best for picking, should invest in a better quality cutaway if you want to pick and see the pins. I like the ones from Sparrows, Multipick also make a nice training lock in euro form. Also look for stuff like this and this, just get your hands on a bunch of cheap ebay lots.
These users liked the author Sedz for the post (total 3):
xbmods (Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm) • TonyS (Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:44 pm) • John999 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm)
xbmods
VIP Member
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 36 times

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Agree with Sedz, get a decent cutaway to learn the feel of the pins with.
Jason J
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 30 times

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi John999 :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
Shurelock
UKLS Member
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 13 times

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 pm

:s_hi: @John999

:welc:
Billbobaggins
UKLS Member
Personal Text: Going on an adventure.

Bbs
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi and wellcome John, keep asking questions thats one of the most important ways to learn and lots of practice, practice, and more practise.
These users liked the author Billbobaggins for the post:
Gazz (Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:36 pm)
John999
UKLS New Member
Personal Text: Semi retired, too poor to retire fully yet. Into Cyber Security but just as an amateur but I know my way around a few viruses.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:27 am

Hi again, thanks for all the good wishes. Have purchased a lock vice as hand holding locks, tensioning and picking a lock is probably a step too far for a beginner. Realising my tensioning was far too aggressive as when I was trying to pick I lost all feedback from the pins.
Found a superb video from Mike Smith on You Tube last night outlining good tensioning for beginners and also pick 'finishing' off to buy some 1500 and 2000 grade wet and dry. Also found BosnianBill and the Lock Lawyer. Are there any threads with more videos aimed at beginners?
John
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:38 pm

welc :s_hi:

Nice to meet you :) read the rules, check out some old threads and join in the fun!

You might want to check out some of my vids - they might be of help :)

:welc:
These users liked the author Lock_Noob for the post:
John999 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm)
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Been liked: 42 times

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:32 am

How do :welc:
John999
UKLS New Member

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks for the steer Locks Noob. The videos (I've watched a few) are really clear and informative. Question for you sir, you reviewed the Euro re-pinnable practice lock from Locksaway and commented on the 'pin feel' due to the cutaway I have also seen the Multipick re-pinnable euro lock ( costs four times as much) which is quality from germany……...The question is, if I purchase the cheaper (but still very good) practice lock from Locksaway will I gain experience that I need at my novice stage of picking? or shall I wait to save my pennies to buy the Multipick lock in a couple of months?

Smashing forum BTW, anyone from the Hampshire area feel free to message me to arrange a meet and coffee over the coming months.

John
MHM
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:40 am

Welcome mate. An even better purchase for a beginner might be the Sparrows progressive lock set.
These users liked the author MHM for the post:
John999 (Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 pm)
Michael Maynard.
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 20 times

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi John! welc to the forum.
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Been liked: 3 times

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi and :welc:

I am also new to the locksport scene and one of my first purchases was the repinnable cutaway euro cylinder from locksaway, helped me immensely at the beginning and I will fall back on that lock when i am struggling with others, great to practice on and you can change it up in a couple of minutes when it becomes too easy. Great people to deal with as well.

Good luck :13:
merlin5666
UKLS Member
Personal Text: I have no problems in life only challenges!
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm

I found it was better for me after using the transparent practise locks to progresse directly to normal door cylinders quite simply to challenge me and it made me learn the hard way frustration is a great leveller you think your god then sit like a spare one at a wedding puzzling over what the hell you need to do to get something open without reaching for the big hammer or the angle grinder. Never totally lost my rag as yet DONT PICK ANGRY as someone high up the food chain once said leave it and go back later it will still be there.
John999
UKLS New Member

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:23 pm

So much good advice. Day four and I can pick and rake the plastic practice lock. I am still struggling with tension and feeling my pick in the lock and this is where the plastic practice lock really helps. I think I am going for the locksaway practice euro lock (re-pinnable) as It will help me see and feel how the pick feels in use and will not break the bank.

I was lucky enough to acquire twenty or so various locks, some with keys and some without which is great and frustrating at the same time. I have cleaned some and just practicing my technique (badly) on them.

I think I am picking too high in the lock a lot of the time and missing the pins however I am going back to basics and simply practicing finding the pins up and down the lock without tension. This has helped my positioning of the pick in the lock and when tensioning I can feel some of them setting but no open locks …….yet.

I think I am going to buy some .4mm picks to help my progress (only have .6mm attamo) Is this a good idea at my stage of (lack of) progress?

The mechanics at Halfords think I am a bit weird if you know what I mean but 'he who dares wins' or in my case blags some wiper blades.

That's all for now.

John