Absolute beginner

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:05 pm

:s_hi:

Hi everyone,

Stumbled across this site while researching which door locks to buy (still havnt found any). Have always had a fascination with lock picking but never properly attempted it, unless you count the few times I tried as a child with a hair clip and no clue!

I do have a couple of old euro cylinder type locks to practice on but would appreciate any pointers or advice in regards to where to start and what tools etc. to invest in.
User avatar
David_1
VIP Member
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm
Reputation: 191
Location: Sussex Uk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 22 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 pm

Hey welcome
Last edited by David_1 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:14 pm

David_1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 pm
Hey welcome
Thanks
User avatar
David_1
VIP Member
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm
Reputation: 191
Location: Sussex Uk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 22 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 pm

all the others will be along soon full of useful advice... Im just here to pick a few locks... have you got any picks yet ???
Last edited by David_1 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gazz
VIP Member
Posts: 2468
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 pm
Reputation: 1115
Location: Manchester
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 42 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc

Your local locksmith or double glazing fitters and ebay are your best bet for cheap or even free locks.
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
User avatar
xbmods
VIP Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm
Reputation: 2478
Location: Planet Thanet - Kent - UK
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 42 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Welcome!

Get your picks from Andy at www.lawlocktools.co.uk the best commercial picks on the market bar none and at a fair price too boot.
These users liked the author xbmods for the post:
Ikonian (Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:11 am)
Jason J
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:54 pm

David_1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 pm
all the others will be along soon full of useful advice... Im just here to pick a few locks... have you got any picks yet ???
Sorry was lost in the forum for a while there lol
I have absolutely nothing at the minute, thought I would ask some advice before I ended up buying rubbish.
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 pm

Gazz wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 pm
Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc

Your local locksmith or double glazing fitters and ebay are your best bet for cheap or even free locks.

Thanks for the welcome mate.
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:56 pm

xbmods wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:18 pm
Welcome!

Get your picks from Andy at www.lawlocktools.co.uk the best commercial picks on the market bar none and at a fair price too boot.
Thanks for the welcome and the info, seen this site mentioned in a few other posts I was reading. Any suggestions as to which picks or sets of picks to buy?
User avatar
DentsE7
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:34 am
Reputation: 187
Personal Text: Newbie lock picker from London.
Looking forward to learning more!
Location: East London
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 9 times
Contact:

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:19 am

Jmrocketmail wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:05 pm
:s_hi:

Hi everyone,

Stumbled across this site while researching which door locks to buy (still havnt found any). Have always had a fascination with lock picking but never properly attempted it, unless you count the few times I tried as a child with a hair clip and no clue!

I do have a couple of old euro cylinder type locks to practice on but would appreciate any pointers or advice in regards to where to start and what tools etc. to invest in.
Welcome to the community 😁

You will find loads of useful information here plus there's loads of friendly people for advice 👍
:welc:
User avatar
xbmods
VIP Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm
Reputation: 2478
Location: Planet Thanet - Kent - UK
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 42 times

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:21 am

I only single pin pick so my opinion would be biased towards the EDC Pro set. If you want to mix it up with some raking then someone else would need to answer that question.
Jason J
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:48 am

DentsE7 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:19 am
Jmrocketmail wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:05 pm
:s_hi:

Hi everyone,

Stumbled across this site while researching which door locks to buy (still havnt found any). Have always had a fascination with lock picking but never properly attempted it, unless you count the few times I tried as a child with a hair clip and no clue!

I do have a couple of old euro cylinder type locks to practice on but would appreciate any pointers or advice in regards to where to start and what tools etc. to invest in.
Welcome to the community 😁

You will find loads of useful information here plus there's loads of friendly people for advice 👍
:welc:
Thanks Dents :13:
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:54 am

xbmods wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:21 am
I only single pin pick so my opinion would be biased towards the EDC Pro set. If you want to mix it up with some raking then someone else would need to answer that question.
I'm thinking I would like to learn the various techniques at some stage but at the minute just want to get started, will do a bit more digging and see what I come up with, I'll be sure to ask back here before I buy anything though.

I like those picks you suggested earlier but dont want to jump the gun and order just yet lol definitely a front runner, almost bought an amazon set until I thought I better ask someone who knows better lol
User avatar
David_1
VIP Member
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm
Reputation: 191
Location: Sussex Uk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 22 times

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:09 am

like others have said "Get your picks from Andy at www.lawlocktools.co.uk " seem to be the ones to buy :)


Just a thought fire Andy an email. he is very fair.... who knows :)
Last edited by David_1 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billbobaggins
UKLS Full Member
Posts: 906
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:15 pm
Reputation: 338
Personal Text: Going on an adventure.

Bbs
Location: Essex
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 35 times

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 am

Take you time mate you have only just got here, we are not going anywhere soon so where is local to you?
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:15 am

David_1 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:09 am
like others have said "Get your picks from Andy at www.lawlocktools.co.uk " seem to be the ones to buy :)


Just a thought fire Andy an email. he is very fair.... who knows :)
Will keep that in mind bud thanks.
Billbobaggins wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 am
Take you time mate you have only just got here, we are not going anywhere soon so where is local to you?
Thanks Billbo, I'm from Northern Ireland, dont know anywhere local to me, have been looking on a few sites mentioned in posts on here just.

Sidenote, figured out how to reply to multiple posts in one post....go me :hee20hee20hee:
These users liked the author Jmrocketmail for the post:
xbmods (Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:02 am)
bradaz11
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:04 pm
Reputation: 35
Location: Bristol
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:00 am

Re. Doorlocks, the only thing I'd say is go anti snap, as it seems this is becoming a more and more popular way of getting in.
For picks, my first set was a set of .5mm picks from madbobs. Cheap enough so you get a taste without huge investment. Fantastic quality and finish.
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:36 pm

bradaz11 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:00 am
Re. Doorlocks, the only thing I'd say is go anti snap, as it seems this is becoming a more and more popular way of getting in.
For picks, my first set was a set of .5mm picks from madbobs. Cheap enough so you get a taste without huge investment. Fantastic quality and finish.
Thanks for that bradaz, will have a look at those picks. As for door locks the ones I currently have are anti snap, just thought they were s bit rubbish, believe from memory they are mpx6, cant remember the make. Was going to buy avocet abs locks but after a bit of digging found there are keys available that you rake in the lock and they open so changed my mind and am stumped at the minute as none of them really seem as secure as I would like lol quickly learning nothing is really as secure as it may appear to be.
Last edited by Jmrocketmail on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DaftLadMatt
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:26 am
Reputation: 18
Personal Text: Brand new to locksport :)
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 am

Hi and welcome.
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:55 pm

DaftLadMatt wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 am
Hi and welcome.
Thanks Matt
User avatar
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:54 pm
Reputation: 941
Location: Sweden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 26 times

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Howdy Jmrocketmail! welc
I started out with a Dangerfield Praxis dual gauge set to get the feel for different kinds of picks, it has served me well until I started making my own picks, although it needs some finishing with sandpaper and one has to make handles for them or the fingers will hurt badly after a while. I now much prefer the Law Lock Tools picks which creator and owner is on this forum a bit and listens to the wishes and feedback from the community. Our own master pick maker, Tipene has also created some of the profiles for the picks, and they are steadily becoming the new goto picks for many pickers.
If you could wait a bit I think Lawlocktools will release a new set soon, which I wish where available when I started out. It has all the necessary picks and no nonsense fillers.

Hey @Andy Law when are you releasing the new set? =)

Btw.. with the risk of the above sounding like a commercial act, I must say that I'm in no way affiliated or get any bonus from Law Lock Tools ^^ Their picks is just great.. that's all.
Anyhow.. have fun =)
These users liked the author PacMandalore for the post:
Jmrocketmail (Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 pm)
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:23 am

PacMandalore wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Howdy Jmrocketmail! welc
I started out with a Dangerfield Praxis dual gauge set to get the feel for different kinds of picks, it has served me well until I started making my own picks, although it needs some finishing with sandpaper and one has to make handles for them or the fingers will hurt badly after a while. I now much prefer the Law Lock Tools picks which creator and owner is on this forum a bit and listens to the wishes and feedback from the community. Our own master pick maker, Tipene has also created some of the profiles for the picks, and they are steadily becoming the new goto picks for many pickers.
If you could wait a bit I think Lawlocktools will release a new set soon, which I wish where available when I started out. It has all the necessary picks and no nonsense fillers.

Hey @Andy Law when are you releasing the new set? =)

Btw.. with the risk of the above sounding like a commercial act, I must say that I'm in no way affiliated or get any bonus from Law Lock Tools ^^ Their picks is just great.. that's all.
Anyhow.. have fun =)
Hi @PacMandalore and thanks for the welcome. I had a look at the praxis kit but decided to listen to everyone's advice and ordered the kit from Andy at law lock tools. I'm currently away working and will get home tomorrow, excited to check all my deliveries and will have plenty of new toys to play with when I'm away for the next few weeks again.

Looks like I'll have to shell out for another kit when Andy releases another set :13:
These users liked the author Jmrocketmail for the post:
TonyS (Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:18 pm)
User avatar
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:54 pm
Reputation: 941
Location: Sweden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 26 times

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:25 am

Good decision :13: If you already have ordered a set there you probably have all you need for a good while.
Jmrocketmail
UKLS Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Reputation: 12
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Yeah I think I'll have more than enough to keep me going for a while mate, thanks for the suggestion
These users liked the author Jmrocketmail for the post:
PacMandalore (Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:35 pm)
User avatar
merlin5666
UKLS Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm
Reputation: 74
Personal Text: I have no problems in life only challenges!
Location: Cramlington Northumberland UK
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Contact:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Jmrocketmail wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:54 pm
David_1 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 pm
all the others will be along soon full of useful advice... Im just here to pick a few locks... have you got any picks yet ???
Sorry was lost in the forum for a while there lol
I have absolutely nothing at the minute, thought I would ask some advice before I ended up buying rubbish.
Follow XbMODS advice and get some Law Lock Tools they really are the dogs bollocks
https://www.lawlocktools.co.uk/index.ph ... ommon/home

Its all i use if you want to see them in use
https://www.youtube.com/user/ROTARY4552 ... _as=public

Welcome to the forum its great on here :sign0098:
These users liked the author merlin5666 for the post:
Jmrocketmail (Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:10 pm)
Post Reply