Another (motivated) newbie!

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
thefiercerabbit
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I have started lockpicking around two weeks ago, but I already have invested a lot of time since then!

Until this morning, I only practiced on a Master Lock M1 and two cheap Wilko padlocks I already had (which aren't really easier to pick/rake).

This morning I received a nice practice lock: a Master Lock Lockout/Tagout, with the famous 6 security pins core. I've managed to open it several times, the main difficulty being that I don't have good tension wrenches for this keyway and that my picks are a bit thick. But this wont be a problem anymore as I did a 180 degrees rotation and my lock is now dead (the key pins left the core and got stuck in the body of the lock). So, if you need a tip regarding these locks, don't turn more than 180 degrees! Even better, try the Brady LOTO padlocks instead (nice review from LPL on Youtube) that are cheaper (on eBay), secured (lockpicking wise) and have an interchangeable core!

Yesterday I've ordered around 15 used euro cylinders (removed from empty houses before setting new ones), that I hope won't be to easy to open.

I have a lockbuddy in France and we'll exchange our locks from time to time, so we can practice on a large variety of locks without having to spend too much. Moreover, we'll probably both invest in some re-pinning equipment (followers, pinning shoes, pins etc...) to create custom/challenge locks.

I hope to find some good information on this forum, and maybe I will be able to contribute too.

Regards,
C.

PS I live in Portsmouth!
Last edited by thefiercerabbit on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwrm22
VIP Member
Personal Text: "Door hardware sportsman"
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 10 times

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm

Hey C,

Welcome to UKLS. There is loads of information to be found here.
For instance there is a topic on how to repair a padlock similar to your master loto.
https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15846

Browse at you leisure. Ask questions when they come up.
And if you need more locks let us know. Shipping is quite expensive, so where are you from?
David_1
VIP Member
Been liked: 9 times

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi C
you don't say where you are... but if your near Bristol, there is a meet up planed soon it might help you !

David
thefiercerabbit
UKLS New Member
Been liked: 0

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:45 pm

jwrm22 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm
Hey C,

Welcome to UKLS. There is loads of information to be found here.
For instance there is a topic on how to repair a padlock similar to your master loto.
https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15846

Browse at you leisure. Ask questions when they come up.
And if you need more locks let us know. Shipping is quite expensive, so where are you from?
I live in Portsmouth! But I guess that my writing betrays me, and indeed I am French.
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 27 times

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:47 pm

:s_hi: and welc welc welc @thefiercerabbit

Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).

https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38
Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.

https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=423

Yes,yes I know you have already, but it's part of my patter and tbh it looks good to the other mods that I'm bothering with this stuff :hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:
https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic ... 61&t=12345

Also keep an eye out for the meet ups , as there maybe a few folk round your way :72: :08:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have... https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=63

:GL: and :welc:
Last edited by Pickbeard 7721 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 23 times

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi C :welc: Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
PacMandalore
VIP Member
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 17 times

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Howdy C! welc to the forums =)
KeyMOE
VIP Member
Been liked: 17 times

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Bonjour :s_hi: and welc C,

Great to have you here, you’ve come to the right place to continue your Lockpicking journey. So many knowledgable and generous people on here. Post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and get involved.

See you around,

KeyMOE
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche
TonyS
VIP Member
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi French guy living in England !
I am an English guy living in France !

:welc:
Gordon W
VIP Member
Been liked: 7 times