What next

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Pickles
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Hello all

My interest in lockpicking began since the weekend. Ironically after being locked out and needing to call on the services of the local drill- *ahem* locksmith. I wanted to challenge myself and see how long it might take for me to be able to pick a £20 Era cylinder (if I can at all).

So my Southord C2010 22 piece set came yesterday along with a set of three practice locks and a Master Lock No. 5 (security rating 7/10 - not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things).

So far, on my second day of half hour experimentation, I have used the city rack to open both locks and single pin picked both too. To be honest, I'm not really working off feel, I'm just picking for the sake of picking. So thus far there isn't much "art" to it - but i'll get there.

What next?

Are there any Locksport gatherings in London? Any particular drills I should be trying? Maybe just scubbing the lock with a hook pick and understanding spacing? Or..?

I look forward to your suggestions.
Last edited by Pickles on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Been liked: 25 times

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Security rating means very little as it is usually given by the manufacturer.

We don't do drills or destroying locks.

Just keep trying different locks, you will soon get a feel and find locks you cannot pick.
Pickles
UKLS New Member
Been liked: 2 times

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I mean drills in the sense of practice exercises haha. I was going to clarify in brackets but thought the latter part would give context/clarity. :P
These users liked the author Pickles for the post (total 2):
Baldiloks (Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:43 pm) • Pickbeard 7721 (Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:31 pm)
micro
UKLS Member
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Hey Pickles,

Have a look at the passaround sets, there's some really great experience to be had just from picking as much different stuff as possible.
Some require a few posts and some rep but you'll gather that just using the forum, asking questions, posting pic of your pics and picked stuff in relatively short time.
viewforum.php?f=72
These users liked the author micro for the post:
Pickles (Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 pm)
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 18 times

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 pm

^-^ and welc welc welc @ Pickles ,

Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38

Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=423

Yes,yes I know you have already, but it's part of my patter and tbh it looks good to the other mods that I'm bothering with this stuff :hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:
viewtopic ... 61&t=12345

Also keep an eye out for the meet ups , as there maybe a few folk round your way :72: :08:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have... viewforum.php?f=63

:GL: and :welc:
MHM
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:00 pm

Welcome to the group mate. As other guys have said, start with the absics. Get a dozen easy euro locks and a disassembly kit. Pick 'em. Strip 'em. Get 'em back together again. Modify 'em. Pick 'em modified. Repeat. This will take you from beginner to intermediate skill level in a few weeks.
Michael Maynard.
LockhackerUK
UKLS Junior Member
Personal Text: Infosec nerd & Locksport junkie. Occasionally seen outdoors.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am

Master Lock No. 5 (security rating 7/10 - not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things)
From a locksport / picking point of view not a lot usually. The higher security rating on masterlocks tend to be for hardened steel shackles and physical attributes of the lock rather than the lock core especially at the lower end of the market.
Welcome aboard by the way :)

Ed
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 16 times

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi :welc:

Have a read of the rules and a good look around. welc :06: welc

You've come to the right place for all things Locksport. :08:

Lots of friendly folk to help you along your journey. :88:

Ask loads of questions and post loads of pics. welc
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.