So far...

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
danja
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 pm

It is so addictive!
I started with a cheapo Chinese set of picks, two transparent locks. And some advice from you fellers (merci buckets).
Took me a while to get the hang of it, but can now pop them in seconds. Find it easier, once I figured out how they work, just to do it blind, just touch & ears.
Discovered - I'm a Derbyshire lad originally, hoarding tendencies - bottom of a drawer, half a dozen padlocks, and the euro door thing I broke a key in years back.
Initial problem, really tight keyways.

Haven't measured, but I'm guessing the Chinese picks are about .75mm, pretty impossible getting in the keyway of the local padlocks. So with the aid of a bench grinder, an old bandsaw blade and some lovely apple wood, made 5 picks of my own, again only guessing, but maybe .4 mm. Popped all the padlocks, given a little time. The euro tube took me a lot longer, hours and hours the first time, feels like there is a spool in the middle. Still a challenge now, call it 15 mins.

Spent so much time trying to single-pin pick the padlocks. Then watched another video, tried raking. Pop, pop, pop. Literally seconds, wobbling a wavy rake.

Showed off my new-found skill to a local mate, he said he had a post box he'd lost the keys for. That took about 5 minutes, bit different inside, but absolutely no challenge. Actually a useful skill!

I've got one of those cheapo cable locks on my bicycle, crap, about 5 seconds.

I couldn't resist buying a padlock, hardest-looking one at a Chinese supermarket. Chinese brand HQ. Really challenging, no sign of any clever pins, but such a tight keyway, really hard to maneuver. About 15 mins.

Just got my first dimple lock, euro door thing, looks like 5 pins, the picks I have won't be ideal, might have to make some more. Still in it's packet. Tonight's treat.

I sort of understand why it's so addictive. A few months ago had my mother visit, gave her the transparent padlock. About 15 mins, pop! Such a look of glee.
A friend Francis visited, showed him the same, ditto, 15 mins, pop!
He gave me his scooter lock to try - after 20 mins, no joy, gave up. Again, another really tight keyway, had no idea of the correct tension.

Anyway, fun, innit!

Sorry about pic quality, all normal cameras seem to have given up.
Oh, more sorry, can't see where to upload.

Cheers,
Danny.
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi Danja! :welc:

Great intro :08:

You're in the right place, lots of like minded people here. :72:

Post loads of pics, ask loads of questions (there are no stupid ones) and have fun. welc :06: welc

Oh and have a read of the rules. https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38 :c017:
Gordon W
VIP Member

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Check out locknoobs channel for a great giveaway for a beginner mate. A lovely set of Southord 2010’s
MHM
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:02 am

Welcome to the forum bro. With an intro like that you are going to fit right in here, believe me.
"This is rubbing the overdose." - Tallans
"Your devotion will be rewarded with frozen drinks and sugar coated cornflakes after the revolution." - frosty68
"Using soy sauce will destroy a lock" - JWRM

Michael Maynard.
tsiolkovsky
UKLS Team Member

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Welcome and wotcha. Sounds like you're going to fit in - although please do read the rules as there are a few things we don't like to talk abour - locks in use and locks on vehicles being two of 'em.

Rik
KeyMOE
VIP Member
Been liked: 1 time

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:58 pm

:s_hi: and welc Danny

Great to have you here, you’ve come to the right place to continue your Lockpicking journey. So many knowledgable and generous people on here. Post lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and get involved.

See you around,

KeyMOE
He who fights with ASSA’s should be careful lest he thereby become an ASSA. And if thou gaze long into a keyway, the keyway will also gaze into thee." - Keytzsche