Just another newbie

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Diurin
VIP Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi, everyone. So i thought i'll introduce myself. My first lockpicking experience was when I was 16 and having nothing to stumbled onto some website about lockpicking. Made myself some picks from a hacksaw blade, but it never stuck or so I thought...
15 years later and idle browsing on amazon reignited something and a gosso kit was on its way followed by all night of youtubing. The kit arrived when I have already found out that it is rubbish... However some sandpaper and a cheap Chinese eurocylinder (given to me by a locksmith who gave me a weird look and told me to go play with it when I told him what i need it for) got me through waiting for a praxis kit.
So i have been at it for a couple of weeks now and have a decent kit, 10 cheep eurocylinders that i have been picking through and an ABUS E60 sitting on a shelf saying "you will never be good enough for me". Now it looks like I am really getting hooked on locks :)
Sorry for a long intro but I am from Lithuania and haven't been able to find any likeminded people locally so far so i guess I really needed to get this out :) If there are some people form Lithuania here I would love to hear from you.
Anyway I am happy to join a bunch of experienced and helpful people here on the forum.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Major
UKLS Member
Been liked: 0

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum mate.

You have very good starting kit, that should keep you going for a while. Hold up other purchases till you find out what you really need (yes, I know, we need many tools and then some more, just in case - and don't forget spares if something breaks on you...).

I'm pretty sure mods will tell you in a moment to have a look at the forum rules and Solomon's guide to lock picking, so I'm not gonna do that :) :D. Just sit back and enjoy your stay here.

Oldhampa
UKLS Member

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:25 pm

^-^ :welc:

You have come to the right place my friend. You will receive a lot of help should you need it, I'm not sure if anyone is from Lithuania but regardless of where we are all from, you will be treated as part of the locksport family.

Have a read of the rules and a browse of the forum and I'm sure you will find your feet in no time.
oceanaut
VIP Member
Has liked: 1 time

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Welcome onboard @Diurin. Lots of likeminded, generous, helpful and very knowledgeable people around here.
LockpickingPete
VIP Member
Personal Text: Rukoholic
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 15 times

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:19 pm

That forum is definetely the place to be as a newbie. Great choice! Do you have a Youtube channel? Let us know. :) Any questions? Ask them. That's an amazing community. I'm also quite new here. And I don't even get paid for these compliments. :D

Just kidding. Welcome, good sir. :)
Steaks that weight less than a pound are called Carpaccio, ya dingus!
ajs193
UKLS Member
Been liked: 1 time

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am

:welc:
John
Enthusiastic t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶b̶i̶e̶ beginner
Youtube
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:22 pm

How do :welc:
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 18 times

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:50 pm

^-^ and welc welc welc @ Diurin,
Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).
Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.
https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/http://mi ... 2619#p2619

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have... https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/http://mi ... ic.php?t=7

:GL: and :welc: .
May the pick be with you
Diurin
VIP Member
Been liked: 10 times

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:44 am

So, it has been a year since I joined and I remember the day like it was yesterday… Well no, I don’t but it has been a great year nonetheless.

I joined UKLS a couple of weeks into my picking and honestly I don’t think I would still be at it if it wasn’t for this great community. I still haven’t found any locksporters locally so it is great to have this great wealth of knowledge as well as people who are here to help and someone who is happy to listen to my rants and enjoy my achievements (I would probably drive my wife crazy otherwise). And it is great to see new pickers going through the same ups and downs as I did. So thank you all for being the greatest bunch of crazies on the net and likely of the net too 😊

I am still a sofa picker. I still mostly fumble my pick in the lock till I get some clicks and an open with an increasing degree of luck (which increases with practice). I still can’t count the pins and I am not as methodical as most of the people here. It has been a year I don’t do dimples like TonyS and I can’t make picks like Tipene or 2 in 1s like Baldi and I can’t be as educational as our local gorilla and I can’t pick anything that opens like Priyer or impression like Jwrm and I sure as hell haven’t grown hair as beautiful as Lock Noobs… And that is the greatest thing about UKLS – there is no pressure to. You do what you do at the pace that suits you and everyone is happy to support you when you do. And the best thing about it is it makes me happy.

So happy anniversary to me and thank you all for being who you are and supporting my lock addiction 😊
These users liked the author Diurin for the post (total 5):
Gazz (Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:39 pm) • PacMandalore (Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:43 pm) • MHM (Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:33 pm) • xbmods (Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 pm) • Pickbeard 7721 (Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:30 pm)
Gazz
VIP Member
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 16 times

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:38 pm

@Diurin Congratz on your 1 year anniversary. May there be many more.
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. Every once in a while, you get pissed off.
MHM
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 27 times

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Awesome @Diurin , you make a massive contribution to the life of the group and its lovely to see that acknowledged.
Michael Maynard.
xbmods
VIP Member
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 15 times

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 pm

That's a brilliant post @Diurin certainly sums up my experience here too. Thanks for sharing and Happy Anniversary! sing1
Jason J