Hi

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
zeefeeπe
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi all,

I thought I'd finally make an account, since I've been aware of this forum for a few years now.

I'm an experienced picker who is generally based in the UK (except this coming year). I've done a fair bit of teaching at workshops at places like BSides London and EMFCamp, as well as Sheffield and London hackspaces (London Hackspace was a few years ago now)

I'm generally interested in high security designs of the particularly difficult to pick variety, and have spent a not inconsiderable amount of time designing locks to be hard to pick. I remain largely preoccupied with that, and probably will for quite some time, since there's a reason so few locks remain publicly unpicked.

I've mainly been (in)active on the lockpicking subreddit's discord channel, which is where I've picked up a fair slice of my knowledge, in addition to what I learnt in my time as a bench locksmith, from watching youtube videos, reading people's breakdown of various lock designs, talking to those far more experienced than myself, and the like.

I'm curious to see what's happening here, and what people get up to, as well as generally helping to grow locksport in the UK.
These users liked the author zeefeeπe for the post (total 4):
MaosVapes (Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 am) • Pickbeard 7721 (Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 pm) • MadUncleAndy (Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:57 pm) • MHM (Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:14 pm)
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Been liked: 4 times

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Awesome intro :welc:

Have a read of the rules and Solomon's guide and check out lots of videos and pictures.

Ask lots of questions and enjoy.

Growing the UK scene really needs doing. bravo2
MrAnybody
Administrator
Been liked: 3 times

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 pm

You're very welcome here.

Have we met at LockCon?
zeefeeπe
UKLS New Member

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi Baldiloks, thanks for the greeting :)

I think I'll start by lurking, and seeing who I already know or have heard of, since that seems like a good starting point on a new forum.

Locksport in the UK seems to be driven on different fronts. From what I've heard there's quite a number of people in Bristol?

@MrAnybody I wish! I was supposed to make it last year, but it fell through, which was frustrating, and I can't make it this year because it clashes with my moving to Germany for a year. Really gutted not to be able to make it this year either :(

The Dutch at EMFCamp were very encouraging, but it's not feasable this year.
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member
Been liked: 3 times

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:53 am

welc :s_hi:

Nice to meet you :) read the rules, check out some old threads and join in the fun :)

:welc:
jwrm22
VIP Member
Personal Text: "Door hardware sportsman"
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 am

I'm glad you made your way to the forum. It was nice meeting you at EMF.
There are plenty of locks to go around, just give us a shout.
MaosVapes
UKLS Member
Has liked: 6 times

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:57 am

welc

Great people around here and lots of good information :wh:

Looking forward to see some pics and picks from you :72:
I didn't pick this hobby, this hobby picked me!
zeefeeπe
UKLS New Member

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I suspect it'll be a while before you see me post anything picked, since I have the dual problems of lacking a camera (or phone with camera) and attempting to pick the ASSA desmo I got EMFCamp. I'm up to struggling against it with 4 pins so far, though!

I might have other bits and bobs to share though, once I get a camera sorted!
These users liked the author zeefeeπe for the post:
jwrm22 (Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:08 pm)
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 pm

:s_hi: and welc welc welc @zeefeeπe

Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38

Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=423

Yes,yes I know you have already, but it's part of my patter and tbh it looks good to the other mods that I'm bothering with this stuff :hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:
viewtopic ... 61&t=12345

Also keep an eye out for the meet ups , as there maybe a few folk round your way :72: :08:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have... viewforum.php?f=63

:GL: and :welc:
Rob locks
VIP Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 am

Hi and welcome. What high security locks have you picked. I.e the one you found to be hardest for you so far.
GrantN
UKLS New Member

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 am

Another long-ish time lurker here as well. I finally mustered enough courage to speak up haha. So hello to the community from me as well.
MadUncleAndy
VIP Member
Location: Deep in the Heart of Darkest America, Home of the Brave
Has liked: 2 times

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 pm

welc Welcome aboard, y'all!
zeefeeπe
UKLS New Member

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Wow, thanks to everyone who posted a greeting!

In an approximate order:

Thanks for the copypasta greeting @Pickbeard 7721 , it makes me feel special!

Just to stop everyone endlessly telling me to read Solomon's guide, it was what I first used to learn lockpicking, about 4 or 5 years ago now, and I've read the rules and ettiquette page quite a few times now, don't worry (Is there some sort of tag on an account which gets set when you read that page while logged in, or do people just need to be told 10 times?).

My first pick was a 6 pin ERA with 4 spools (that took me more than a month, on and off, and it would have helped to know if there were anti pick pins first, or if I really had a false set.)

@Rob locks ME personally having picked? Nothing properly high sec. Closest I could claim would be Yale Superior/Millenco Magnum, or KABA pExtra (although the pExtra was a fluke with my favourite GOSO hook quite a few years back). Currently trying my hand at the ASSA Desmo, where I'm up to 4 pins out of 6, but since it's my first sidebar lock that I'm having a proper shot at, I'm finding it difficult to establish which pins are loose when I can't see them.

For the time being I'm more concerned with research and design. I've been trying to design a challenge lock for huxleypig69/Matt Smith for more than a year now. He has a year to open it via any non-destructive method he likes except for differ exhaustion. Which means picking and impressioning are on the table, as well as any bypass I leave in there, decoding, x ray attacks, making a self impressioning tool, etc. So I'm pretty open to suggestions for high sec locks to research. The ones which he hasn't picked within a year are:

1. Abloy Classic (for which he now makes and sells a tool)
2. WE30C (For which he's published a bypass for the blocking mechanism, but not yet publicly picked)
3. EVVA MCS (Which I believe he has now picked, although I can't back that with any evidence)
4. Kromer Protector (Last I checked this still hasn't been picked publicly by anyone)
5. NATO Mersey Lock (Again, last I checked, this also hasn't been picked publicly yet)

Besides that, I've been trawling Ollie Diedrichsen's blog for interesting and novel safe lock mechanisms, and I've been meaning to go and see Brian Moorland's lock collection to see more of the lock designs from the 1800s where they genuinely were trying to make an unpickable lock.

Funnily enough, trying to design something to be really hard to pick when you give the most generous assumptions to the attacker is really, really hard.

@GrantN @MadUncleAndy Hi! Nice to meet you.
Last edited by zeefeeπe on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author zeefeeπe for the post:
Pickbeard 7721 (Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 pm)
zeefeeπe
UKLS New Member

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Probably also worth mentioning what I'm familiar with, even if I haven't picked it.

I've got some experience gutting, assembling, master keying, etc;

Medeco, MTL Interactive, Bilock, KABA pExtra and GeGe and some EVVA 5 pin stuff.

Besides that, I've got a good idea of most door locks in the uk, outside of safe locks (some limited knowledge I'm slowly expanding), like Asec, Iseo, Yale, Union, etc.

Hope this helps some of you guage where I'm at, and where I fit in.

Z
MHM
UKLS Team Member
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Welcome to the group mate. There's a few of us on here interested in high security stuff, very nice to have another.

Michael.
"This is rubbing the overdose." - Tallans
"Your devotion will be rewarded with frozen drinks and sugar coated cornflakes after the revolution." - frosty68
"Using soy sauce will destroy a lock" - JWRM

Michael Maynard.