Hi from Yorkshire

Rattle that keyboard a bit and say hi, introduce yourself or tell us why you're here. For new members this is your first port of call
Sid
UKLS New Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi
Im not having much luck at the moment....
After 6 weeks of watching youtube ( locknoob, waddac2 , bosnian bill and lockpicking lawyer mostly) and practicing, all ive managed is to pick the plastic practice lock :O(
I managed to rake open quite a few but on some days even that dosent work.
I think im oversetting the pins but its hard to learn such a tactile sport from watching videos.
Ive just ordered a single pin practice lock from without a key so hopefully that will help.
Are there any other methods of learning SPP please
I'm not going to give up till i can at least pick a Master lock
cheers
Baldiloks
Advanced Team Member
Been liked: 1 time

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:43 pm

How do :welc:

Have a read of the rules and Solomon's guide and check out lots of videos and pictures.

Ask lots of questions and enjoy.

All i can offer is to practice lots, Becareful you dont pick up locks with security pins, it will slow you down until you know what you are doing.
TequilaDave
UKLS Member
Has liked: 1 time

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:46 pm

I would suggest a progressive set like the Sparrows or Mad Bob's.

Personally I went for the Sparrows cutaway brass lock and the reload kit. That way I have all the tools to take apart and repin to however many I wanted (including security pins now too) and works out cheaper than buying 4 to 6 locks.

PS :welc:
Last edited by TequilaDave on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazz
VIP Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi Sid :welc:

You've come to the right place to learn. :72:

Post some pics of your locks and picks. :)
Last edited by Gazz on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slash_burns
UKLS New Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi Sid,

I'm new to this and also a Yorkshireman :08:

Don't lose your confidence its only a matter of time. You might find that you have more success with different lock and pick combos and then you will build up confidance. I just watched these vids by Schuyler Towne and he makes a good point about having options to keep you confident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL66 ... VSL0liiWoc

Dont give up man :welc:
V1ad
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Hello fellow Yorkshire man, I'm very new too, about 6 weeks of pick in hand after watching the same hrs on YouTube.

My limited experience is that hrs with pick in hand makes a huge difference. All of a sudden what you're feeling through the pick paints a picture in your head. You sort of see what's going on in there. Take on board what these guys recommend and you'll be opening locks and grinning like the rest of us.

Small steps, I found were the key and some days you'll not open locks even with a key or so it feels.

Pick in hand, even running it up and down the pins gives you so much info you don't realise you're taking on boar.
It all started with a drunken £10 eBay purchase!
ajs193
UKLS Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Welcome from yet another Yorkshireman.
It really is all about practice. I'm 8 months in and like you, started with a plastic practice padlock.

I would recomend going to your local DIY store and buying one of their cheapest euro profile locks.
Avoid the cheapest padlocks, they're silly easy, go for £5 - £10 padlocks. they'll give you a challenge while still being quite easy.

What V1ad says about running your pick up/down the pins is very true, try it, vary the tension too and feel the difference

Good luck
John
Enthusiastic t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶b̶i̶e̶ beginner
Youtube
xbmods
UKLS Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi Sid, welcome aboard, best advice I can offer is less YouTube, more uklocksport, practice, practice, practice, keep calm, stick with it and ask lots of questions here.

Provide as much detail as possible about the issues you face and you will get plenty of great tips from the more experienced pickers here. I've been here about a month and these guys almost instantly "virtually" picked open a lock for me that was driving me crazy! My success rate has been uphill since then cos of this lot and the wealth of resources here.

If you have a spare hour watch this vid too, if only to watch the practical demos on feedback and tensioning. I found the talky bits quite boring but persevered anyway.

https://youtu.be/aYNoEIV12io
waddac2
UKLocksport Promoter

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi Sid,

Welcome to uklocksport bravo2 welc bravo2

First of all, what picks do you have at the moment?

When picking, try different wrenches first to make sure fit correctly if using bottom of keyway.... and if using top of keyway, make sure the wrench does not make contact with first pin as will bind it up too much. Start with short hook and light tension.... Have a pick of the lock and if no pins binding then re-set and add a bit more tension.

It is all about practice... but do not keep at it for ages, take a break and come back to the lock again with clear mind. :)

I personally never used see through locks and just jumped in deep end. Reason I did not opt for see through locks as you concentrate more at looking at the pins. You cannot see pins in a natural lock so you concentrate more etc...

Again welcome :08:
V1ad
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Oh and find (someone please link) BosnianBill's finishing picks vid. For the sake of a few quid on wet/dry paper, it does make a significant difference to even the cheapest picks give you so much more feedback(but buy 2-3 quality picks instead)
xbmods
UKLS Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:17 pm

V1ad wrote: Oh and find (someone please link) BosnianBill's finishing picks vid. For the sake of a few quid on wet/dry paper, it does make a significant difference to even the cheapest picks give you so much more feedback(but buy 2-3 quality picks instead)
Uklocksport's very own MHM has a better vid than bill's on pick finishing!

https://youtu.be/r-W2_VEOs3A
TonyS
VIP Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:33 pm

xbmods wrote: Uklocksport's very own MHM has a better vid than bill's on pick finishing!
That is THE video on pick finishing.
V1ad
UKLS Junior Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 pm

What xbmods said
Lock_Noob
UKLS Team Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:31 pm

^-^ welc

Nice to meet you :) lockpicking involves a lot of practice but comes with great rewards too, so keep at it :) everyone here is super helpful and there are plenty of answers to questions in loads of helpful threads.

:welc:
Come check out my noob-focused YouTube channel
MHM
UKLS Team Member

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:32 pm

V1ad wrote:

All of a sudden what you're feeling through the pick paints a picture in your head.

A million times this.

Welcome to the group mate, +1 for asking an excellent question, and while I'm about it, V1ad gets one for answering it.

What is it about Yorkshiremen and lockpicking, there seem to be a lot of you blokes about suddenly.
"This is rubbing the overdose." - Tallans
"Your devotion will be rewarded with frozen drinks and sugar coated cornflakes after the revolution." - frosty68
"Using soy sauce will destroy a lock" - JWRM

Michael Maynard.
V1ad
UKLS Junior Member

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:08 am

it's like NZ with less sheep ?
Pickbeard 7721
Advanced Team Member

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:25 am

^-^ and welc welc welc @ Sid,

Have a quick read of the rules and etiquette section (should stop any confusion later down the line).
Next it's up to you really.

I would suggest taking a good read of Solomons guide as this is the best guide on the web (imo) :read2: :08: :
No matter what your skill set it's always a good piece of reference material to keep going back to.
https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/http://mi ... 2619#p2619

Yes this is an intro that most of the guys here have had from me over the year(s), yes I know others have already steered you there (just can't be fussed altering it too much) :57: :sorry:

Anyway.........

Then mooch around the site at your leasure :72:

There is plenty to see do and get involved in so don't be shy :08:

Take a look at Meme's thread on pick making,I'm sure you will enjoy this great read :88:

Also keep an eye out for the meet ups , as there maybe a few folk round your way :72: :08:

Lastly Have Fun,ask loads of questions as everyday is a school day here. :icon_study: :08: :clap:

This page may help some of the questions you may have... https://www.uklocksport.co.uk/http://mi ... ic.php?t=7

:GL: and :welc: .
May the pick be with you